Potatoes often have a bad rep in the weight loss world. The problem has everything to do with the low carbohydrate view that many people have. However, potatoes can be wonderful foods for weight loss.
What Potatoes Due For You.
Potatoes are great foods and full of nutrients. They can also help with weight loss and you have lots of options!
- Potatoes are high in fiber and help keep you full longer. This can be a great way to avoid over eating.
- Potatoes also help balance out blood sugar which in turn makes it easier to avoid binging and snacking when you aren’t really hungry.
- They are also full of vitamins including B vitamins which make you feel happier and in turn you will have a more positive attitude about your weight loss program.
Different Types of Potatoes.
There are a few different types of potatoes. There are red or white potatoes that are for boiling. These have a softer skin and are smaller. Larger potatoes with a think brown skin are for baking. They bake fluffy. All purpose potatoes are those that are large, but have a light skin. New or baby potatoes come in any variety but they have yet to mature.
Ways To Make Potatoes Bad For You.
Often the big problem with potatoes is how we eat them. If you “fully load” your potato chances are pretty good that you have turned your baked potato into a health nightmare complete with butter, sour cream, cheese (or worse cheese sauce), and possibly even bacon! Often mashed potatoes are mixed with butter, margarine, and milk or cream. Some even toss in cheese and sour cream!
Making Your Potato Toppings Healthy.
It isn’t hard to make your potatoes healthy. Try these topping options for a healthier potato.
- Make your baked potato creamy with plain low fat yogurt. This has a taste that is slightly sour and will add a creaminess to your potato without the fat. Season well with herbs, spices, pepper, and other vegetables such as broccoli and peas.
- Make your mashed potatoes creamy with low fat plain yogurt and season it yummy with herbs and spices. Leave the peels on for added taste. Plus most of the nutrients are in the peel or near the peel and by removing it you take away a lot of them. You can also add a drizzle of olive oil for a different taste and texture.
- Boil potatoes and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with your favorite seasonings and herbs.
In this case the herbs and seasonings can make your potatoes perfect. Low fat plain yogurt can make them creamy and oil should replace butter.
Potatoes are excellent foods for weight loss. They can be added to your diet often, but you must be careful with what you top them with. Many times potatoes are made with fattening options that cause the weight gain. Avoid adding fatty toppins to your potatoes and you will lose more weight.
Category: All Resources That Help Lose Weight!