Snack attacks often make it so that we fail at our weight loss goals. We get the munchies and our diet goes out the window. However, air popped popcorn can help you deal with snack attacks and not kill your diet in the process.
What Popcorn Can Do For You
Popcorn can help you with your weight loss goals. This isn’t a food that should be consumed daily, but it can be used occasionally to keep your choices healthy.
- Popcorn is high in dietary fiber. This means that eating popcorn will help you feel full and avoid eating more of other types of foods.
- Air popped pop corn contains very few calories and no fat.
- Popcorn has a satisfying crunch and often helps us fight cravings. If you are craving chips then popcorn can be a better alternative and so on.
As with many things the real killer for popcorn is the toppings. With nothing on it air popped popcorn has about 23 calories per cup. Add butter to that and you will quickly find yourself in a high calorie and high fat snack.
The other topping we add to popcorn to make it unhealthy and bad for weight loss is salt. We pile on the sodium and we gain water weight that is hard to get off. Plus it is bad for the heart.
What To Do?
There are a number of popcorn seasonings that can save the day. Choose a spray on version that adds a dash of sodium, flavoring, and moisture. These are often calorie free or very low on calories and they add the flavor you crave without the high calories, fat, or sodium. You can even get sweet flavors with a dash of sugar to solve sugar cravings.
Popcorn can be a great snack food and a great addition to your diet. However, there are some things to keep in mind.
- Popcorn is a good food compared to a lot of snack foods, but it isn’t packed with nutrients so you should keep it to a minimum.
- Make up some popcorn and store it for later. Have it one cup at a time. One cup of popcorn isn’t much, but you may find you are full and would have kept eating if you had more in front of you. You can always go back for more!
- Avoid getting popcorn out of the house. It isn’t healthy in anyway and is full of oil, butter flavoring, and salt. Many times it is then topped with butter or butter flavored oil. Yes, it tastes good, but it also has a lot of calories, fat, and sodium.
- If you are one who has to have popcorn at the theater then get movies at home and enjoy your air popped popcorn while you watch.
Popcorn can be a great once in awhile addition to your diet. It is a great snack and can help you make the best of choices.
Category: All Resources That Help Lose Weight!